Ten Things of Thankful (TToT) is a weekly blog hop started by the lovely Lizzi Lewis over at Considerings as an effort to call out and feature ten silver linings in your life each week. This week TToT celebrated its sixth birthday. I first heard about TToT from Jak over at The Cryton Chronicles and joined for the first time on July 14, 2013. I guess you could say I was a part of TToT’s “First Class” and stuck with it for nearly a year until my last participation on June 29, 2014. Now this fabulous blog hop not only has its own blog presence but it also has a Facebook group with over 140 members. How cool is that?
I am not really sure why I stopped, to be honest. I am what you call an occasional blogger. I blog in waves — often disappearing for months or even years before popping back in, but once I heard about the big TToT birthday event, I felt inclined to link up one more time.
And so, without further ado…
- TToT friendships. Thinking of TToT brought back some wonderful memories this week. Those of us who participated in that first year became a family – so much so, we would find times that worked for all of us to not only blog together, but to virtually connect via video conference or online chat regularly. Since I first heard of this blog hop in my early days of my relationship with Jak, we would call into these meetings together to find Lizzi, Clark, Zoe, Christine or Kristi already on the line. These calls were to check in on one another and to basically shoot the shit. I fondly recall an enjoyable video chat when Jak and I were hanging out at a Barnes and Noble and we kept getting side glances because of our laughter. Even after I stopped doing the blog hop, I added many of these friends on Facebook and have even managed to keep in touch with a couple over the years.
- Anniversaries. In theme with #1 and thinking of memories associated with this blog hop and the friends I have met along the way, I am also cognitive that when I joined TToT, I also had just started dating Jak. Six years later, not only is TToT celebrating, but come this September, Jak and I will also be celebrating six years together. Also this week, I celebrated four years at my job — my second longest place of employment. Lots of anniversaries to celebrate!
- GSD. Aside from my work anniversary, work has been a bit underwhelming for me lately. While it’s always busy, I have been feeling a bit lackluster about it. One thing that went particularly well this week was that I got a lot of shit done and met most of my deliverable due dates for the week, so by the time Friday afternoon hit, I didn’t feel bad logging off an hour early.
- Gathering. Last fall I bought my first house and today I hosted people for the first time for a friend’s bridal shower! I was a bit nervous because it is a smaller house and we’re still getting settled in and buying all of the furniture we need. But I didn’t need to worry — I got many compliments on the house and my friends agreed that it was comfortable and pleasant.
- Friends. I co-hosted the party today with two of my closest friends from high school, and am so glad we were able to work together to cohost a great event.
- Natural cleaning products. In preparation for the shower today, I spent all of yesterday cleaning the house. As someone who is super sensitive to strong cleaning products, I use vinegar/water, Norwex rags and cleaning paste to clean my home. Not only is it better for the environment, but it also leaves me headache-free.
- Crookshanks. Crookshanks is our 13 year old cat who is set in his ways so I was worried about how he would act today during the party. I was worried that either he would be 1) super needy/whiny because it was the two hours before he gets fed (and he starts being super annoying in those two hours), 2) nervous around all of the new people or 3) jump up on the food table. To my pleasant surprise, he was so well-behaved and honestly a star of the day. He welcomed all of the pets he got and people gushed about how beautiful he is.
- Nice weather. I live in Minnesota and we had a verrrry long winter and essentially no spring this year. We got snow in early May and it then rained or was gloomy/cold the rest the month. This week was the first week that we had a nice mix of warmer temps, thunderstorms and sunshine. All of my favorite types of weather in one week!
- Central AC. After living several years in apartments with either no AC or a single window unit, I am thankful for how well our 30+ year old Central AC works. I knock on wood every time I say that because of its age, but am hopeful to get at least another year out of it. I was especially thankful for it yesterday as temps reached near 90 degrees with high humidity so that I could clean the house without overheating.
- Close to home. When I bought my house, I moved back to the neighborhood I grew up in and where my parents still live. My house is 8 blocks from my parents’ house and have found it has been more a blessing than anything. As I prepared to host my first party, my mom called to remind me I could use anything she had just in case. She then called me today and asked how the party went and if I had any yard waste to get rid of because if so, my dad would swing by on Tuesday on his way to the recycling plant. Just reminds me that no matter how old I get, I will always appreciate the help my parents have to offer.
How was your week? Have you participated in TToT before? If so, how long?