While I came on board on week six of Ten Things of Thankful, for me, I am only on week two. So I will be numbering my weeks as it pertains to my weeks.
It was another crazy week, including more car trouble and being jerked around my shady car repair guys, more weird work conversations and being a key witness in a work theft incident. I imagine eventually these odd/bad occurrences will begin to diminish… but as of now, they seem to be lingering. Fun! But again, let’s focus on the good, not the bad.
- I finally, *finally* resolved a long battle with my birth control being covered by my health insurance. Thanks to the passing of Obamacare, as of January 1, birth control was deemed as a preventative service/prescription and therefore, should be covered 100% by health insurance. I have been fighting this battle since January 1. Turns out, the reason why my health insurance was declining the bill, was because my Planned Parenthood clinic was only prescribing me a non-formulary drug, aka a brand name drug that wasn’t covered. But every time I asked my clinic to resubmit and to talk to my insurance, yet somehow it wasn’t working, ever. They were talking to each other but only with each other’s best interest in mind. Not in the best interest of the patient. It finally took me talking on the phone with both a billing office rep and the health insurance rep to get to the bottom of it and ask the doctor to submit a exception/pre-authorization. And from that point, they realized they could have fixed this if they instead gave me a prescription to fill at a pharmacy rather than just giving me the pill at the clinic. Picked up my prescription – bingo, paid for.
- My persistence on the above situation. I learned to be an advocate for myself, and while it is frustrating and overwhelming, I was determined to get to the bottom of it. I knew I had rights as a patient and I knew I wasn’t getting the treatment I deserved. I was tired of being talked down to and having jargon thrown at me. I took matters into my own hands.
- It is day 8, and it seems the result of the car accident from last Friday is that the lady doesn’t seem to be making a claim on my insurance. I had an accident last fall, so another bumper tap would sky-rocket my insurance. I am thinking her window of opportunity is slowly going away, and for that, I am thankful.
- My brother-in-law. So you know that quick reference to car troubles? Well this week, I went in to fix a recalled part on my car, in which they discovered my car was leaking oil. When I was in, they said I was still under warranty, to which I asked when it expired because I know I was close. The general service manager said, “Oh it just expired a day or two ago.” And then encouraged me to make an appointment next week to come in. I told my brother-in-law and he told me to challenge that.. that it was within a week of warranty and I was way under the mileage. He made a few calls (he used to work in the company) and I called the dealership back to schedule a diagnostic appointment. When I was talking to the service rep, she told me my warranty actually expired on the day I was in. The service manager guy lied to me and encouraged me to come back the next week to get service done — probably so that I couldn’t challenge the case, another week window gone. I told my brother-in-law, and he made more calls, including the head honcho for the company. Let’s just say, come Monday I should be taken care of… and if not? I will be my own advocate and maybe talk to my brother-in-law again. 🙂
- My niece Mia. After another crazy week, I was in dosage of my normalcy where crazy only meant my three year old niece. She always puts a smile on my face, and quickly lets me know I am loved. At one point, she even laid her head on my lap and then crawled up to share a snack. Who can not smile at that love?
- Seeing Urinetown for free this week! It was basically $60-70 entertainment for free (two tickets). I am so glad Jak could join me, and we hope to work on a review tomorrow for y’all.
- Learning opportunities. I am geeking it out this week with a bunch of Drupal developers (website developers). While I am in the gender minority and a lot of the topics are over my head, every session has covered some essential basics that I can go explore more on my own.
- The cooler weather that rolled in today. We are just coming off a heatwave in Minnesota. Imagine that, summer in July? Anyways, having an apartment with no AC with temps in the 90s with a heat index of 100, I gladly welcome temperatures in the 70s – 80s today. I can sleep with a few more articles of clothing now.
- Fans. For the week of heat, I am personally thankful for fans. Ceiling fans, and oscillating fans — praise to the fans!
- Going to my parents house and finding lots and lots of ice cream treats in their freezer. Since last Saturday, I have eaten Coconut Explosion Ice Cream, Mint Moose Tracks Ice Cream and Mint Klondike Bar. Oh and cake. I benefited from cupcakes and Tiramisu cake this week. All of which I do not buy for myself (for a reason!) and therefore did not have to pay for. Muahahaha. (Thank you to all those who contributed to this last one!)
And there is my list!
What are you thankful for this week?